Class Bobst and a lot of Walking
2005-05-16 23:35:33
I started today with a short run around Washington Square, after getting turned away from Coles for lack of a real NYU card. I showered, had a fried-egg sandwich at the counter of Silver Spurs across the street, and got my card from the NYU office building on 12th. My picture looks as though I'd received some anesthetic shots just before, but what are ya gonna do... I tried the housing office to see if I could switch early, but to no avail.
I set up an interview with Tribeca tomorrow, and got lunch at the Weinstein dining hall, the main one open for the summer. It's a step up from Michigan, but not a big one. Some of the improvements include normal size glasses, real scoopable ice cream, burgers/hot dogs made to order, a nicer looking salad bar, grapefruit juice, and pasta (occasional stir fry) cooked to order. On the other side, it can't match the CZ for ambiance, but lets be honest...who can?
So a quick look into the Bobst library and off to class. The teacher, Paul Thompson, has a great English accent and seems like he'll be very good. He started the class, which has 13 students, with a couple acting exercises: Impromptu collaborative storytelling. In small groups we brainstormed aspects of scripts, and specifically short films (which we each write over the course of the course). He discussed each one and then gave us his 7 important aspects of screenwriting: Art is a lie, Writing for performance, Film is a time art, Anxiety, Necessity, Pain, and Who is your tribe? We watched a cool short, 'A Close Shave', and looked at it in terms of some of these aspects. I really like the class though it seems just above my level of artsyness and 'critical film analyzation'. I'm embarrassed to say that it took about an hour into class before I realized that the room vibrating every 15 minutes was due to the subway and not someone watching a bass-heavy movie in the room next door. . .
I went back to Bobst library. They have a tremendous amount of books. Kind of like the UGLI atrium on steroids, with the entire grad stacks wrapped around it. I got a couple books on Avid to prep for tribeca, and DisneyWar. I was late to my internship class meeting, due to thinking 1027 was on the first floor. In other news I bought a stamp to use on my forehead which says "out of towner". That meeting was basic do's and don'ts of interning.
Dave and I ate at Weinsteins, where I discovered they have a hot chocolate/cappuccino machine, gas station style. I walked all the way to Tribeca Grill to see if I could find Eli, but he wasn't there. But it was a fun walk, my first time in SoHo, and I saw the building where my internship is tomorrow. He called about when I got back, we got some Cold Stones and walked around. His blog is at http://summerinnyc.blogspot.com
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home