First day in NY
2005-05-15 20:22:23
A busy day straight from 4:08 until now. After some quick cereal, it was off to the airport with mom. I took a Spirit arilines flight to La Guardia, an airport bus to Grand Central, and a taxi to Washington Square. While I saw the Statue of Liberty from the plane it wasn't until the bus emerged from a long tunnel that I saw the city, the trees near La Guardia giving way to amazing, tall buildings.
My dorm-transfer request hadn't gone through, and the front desk at Hayden hall said I'd have to go to Brittany. After failing to find the housing office I dragged my luggage to Brittany and found my room. It's quite sizeable compared to anything at Michigan. It's a triple, with a bathroom, hallway and three closets. (see pictures, the kitchen and pool table are in a lounge on the ground floor) The internet was down today :(
I set out to find the housing office, Coles sports center (read: CCRB) and my class location. Found only the latter, and returned. Set out again and found the other two, but housing said they couldn't switch me until at least next Sunday.
I started walking in the other direction up Broadway, and came across a Thai appreciation celebration in Union Square. After sampling a snack mix and very quickly realized it was composed of sea weed ...i think. I bought a candied fruit drink, which turned out to be remakably like a smoothie, and watched some Thai dancing. . .
After more walking I returned to 203 Brittany, and soon after entered my only roommate Dave, a just-graduated NYU student focusing on finances. Very nice guy. I had seen his stuff but we had kept missing each other throughout the day. After a bit of unpacking, and trading a NYU notepad for a UM one, he showed me Mouman's (sp) Filaffel. A great $2 sandwich, which we ate in Washington Square.
Tonight will involve sorting out internship possibilities and preparing for interviews. I don't expect most entries to be this long, after all it is my first day in NY!
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home