Let the races begin
A lot of work to do already!
After the post last night I talked to Rumur Inc, set up a 10am meeting today. Well the place is in Brooklyn, and getting there was educational. I managed to get on the right train but got lost when I got out of the subway. My map was of little help, but I called and they guided me to the right house. I met 2/3 of the group, who work out of an office/studio in the house, and learned a bit about the group's works and plans. Michael gave me a DVD of their last documentary 'Horns and Halos' to watch and a documentary journal with an article on them. It looks like I will help develop a flash website for the company, and accompany them on a couple shoots if possible.
It was then back on the train to Canal, where I rushed to the 20th floor of 401 Broadway to meet David Pilot, the main force behind Tribeca Lab. He is currently going into post-production of a feature 'Saving Manhattan' about a christian fundamentalist preacher trying to purge the city of its sins and come to grips with his religion. Amy Poehler of SNL is a co-star. I think this will be my main gig. At first I'll be logging clips, but David is a nice energetic guy (who reminds me slightly of Weisserman) will give me a chance at cutting some scenes and giving input. He also said he will help New Yorkicize me. Which is much needed.
The building is on the edge of chinatown, which I had to bypass for lunch today, but I look forward to in the future. I got to class as the professor was. We did a couple concentration exercises, such as looking right at someone and describing a movie as they do the same. No breaking flow of what you're saying, and you try to pick up what movie they are talking about at the same time. We discussed the importance of the center idea of a script. A few people told their truth/lie stories. He asked us to come up with one true story and one lie and tell both. The rest of the class then discusses and votes on which was which. The point here is to learn about believability and how to create it, because after all, the art of the movie is the art of lying, to some degree.
His approach is very much from the actor's perspective, but he is open about it and it seems a fairly logical way to discuss scripts. Though he makes the point that film is not really a visual medium, (at least that the visuals are not whats the most important) and I tend to disagree with that.
I received an unexpected call from Mirimax, which I thought was done with me after they didnt return my phonecall about 2 weeks ago. It was too late to call but I will in the morning, just to see. I also got an email from IFC, inquiring about my length of stay.
I relaxed until going to dinner with Dave, did my class readings in the Square and went to the 10th of Bobst library to jot down some ideas for my short script and get a book on flash. Watched 'Horns and Halos' and signed off.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home