Saturday, July 08, 2006

Catchup: Monterey Aquarium, Stanford

I never blogged about, but the weekend of the 24th I took a trip Sunday to Monterey, and Saturday to Stanford and the city. Both trips were with my roomate Paul, and fellow intern Nils.

The saturday plan was to get a day pass for the caltrain, take bikes, and see what there is to see. First stop was palo alto. Stanford is beautiful! A really nice campus.
IMG_0180.JPG
Coming from michigan, which is a hodge podge of architecture, Stanford's buildings are a pretty homogenous bunch. I wonder if the campus gets boring, or taken for granted by most students. Palo Alto was a nice little town too, but I hear that the students don't go into it much (Maybe that's just the CS students :)). I will certainly be looking at my options after next spring at UM....

In the city we had dinner at a fairly pricey place in japantown, which was... pretty good. We biked down market street to the civic center. Most people had gone for the day, but we definetly got a taste of what the pride parade the next day was going to be like. Before heading back on the midnight train, we stopped in a place off of union square for coffee. But after seeing the sorbet in the menu, I changed my mind. Sandhya, feel free to be jealous :) (or come visit SF and we'll go for one)
IMG_0212.JPG

The Monterey aquarium is really nice. I find with similar venues that i am interested while I'm there, but not too much of the information really sticks with me. A couple of memories maybe.
IMG_0021.JPG
Through it seems cannery row has become a bit touristy since Steinbeck wrote about it. Still, streets like Cannery row and their fisherman's wharf are quite enjoyable.
IMG_0033.JPG
IMG_0011.JPG
At the wharf, they had a real capuchin monkey. You pay to get a pose and a picture and everything. I never thought I'd see that. The monkey looks pretty sad.
IMG_0036.JPG

1 Comments:

At 8:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

was it lemon sorbet???? doesn't look like it... =) As far as ice cream in Cali goes, I'll be getting my share after mcats... if that sounds new to you, more to come...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home