Saturday, July 22, 2006

Instructions for being a pirate

IMG_0171.JPG
Ben, here are the directions

Coincidentally, I saw POC:DMC today and it was great! Having ridden the original ride twice just a couple weeks ago, I could nitpick, but I think it lives up to its heritage overall. The ride opened in '67, a year after Walt passed. Over three decades later it is still a popular ride at the parks, and versatile enough to have two blockbusters based on it. Heritage.

Davy Jones, wild tribes, seers, and other bits I can't recall at the moment are really good stereotypically pirate-ish. Like the ride, that is a goal of the movie, to provide visuals for the common story of pirates we all collectively know in the back of our minds.

The visuals from the ride, like the guy being raised from a well are much appreciated. A couple other things of significance: The wild tribe in the movie seems very much to be the tribe that might inhabit Adventureland. The people of "others" never shown before now (except a bit in the JC), but always passively imagined by American visitors to the parks.

And the castle before the movie is different! Having read about this online I expected it, but it was still shocking. After decades of a white castle on a blue background, the familiar icon is no more. I do like the rendering of the castle, and the music choice though. Worked well. Fine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home