Sunday, October 08, 2006

Fall 2006, as it were

Couple snipets from life as of late.

This is the HKN Donut stand, in front of the HKN office. I've spent 30 some hours of my life selling donuts and pizza from here. I wasn't much of a participant in the group in previous years, but it's grown on me. This semester I have had the 8am shift on thursdays, but I'm done now.

IMG_0007.JPG

The engineerin career fair was a couple weeks ago. I've always felt kind of funny about it. Freshman year my impression of engineering was that your career's goal would be to make a better memo to your superior so you can move up. I knew to look past the values suggested by my engin 100 class however. I hated career fair and refused to participate my first two years on campus. If the recruiters came back the next day, the suits would be all be back to torn jeans, hoodies, and t-shirts. With all the suits milling about like ants, its like we can't wait to even get into the rat race:

IMG_0012.JPG

Now, as a senior, I know the people going to the booths, and I know several of the recent grads at the booths recruiting. It's real people trying to take the next step in their lives. Many will apply anywhere, for any job, not caring what effect they really have in the world. But it's understandably scary to leave school, and this is not always the case. There are even a few companies that care.

I'm really fortunate that I found one of those companies, and only had to participate in the fair one time to find it. And it happens to be a company that recognizes that professionalism doesn't look like a suit. Professionalism is an attitude, and the behaviors that result from that attitude.


Last week Kirsty and I spent a couple hours of the wee morning waiting in this line to get tickets to one of the Royal Shakespeare company's performances here in Ann Arbor this semester. Alas, we were still 70 or 100 people away from getting them. The booty went to the intense people who were there with tents since the night before.

IMG_0035.JPG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home